Saturday 16 August 2014

SYS Background Stamps

So I know that this is going backward instead of forward in the class but I really wanted to share this card. This card is my favourite one from the class so far - not because it is the prettiest or the nicest but because I learned so much when I did it.


So I have had a stash of perfect pearls sitting in my craft cabinet for a long time but I have never really learned how to use them effectively --- until last week! Despite the fact it is August, I knew that this IO snowflake background stamp would work really well so I pulled it out and followed Jennifer's example. This card is actually the second one that I did because the first one didn't cover properly (like I said - a lot of learning). 
The second way that I used the perfect pearls was on the base card - I thought that the white looked too stark so I "softened" it up a little by adding some perfect pearls along the sides and behind the die-cut. I really liked the effect that it gives and I can definitely see myself doing this more often.
The third way I used perfect pearls was on the embellishments - little wooden Studio Calico snowflakes. I painted them with Distress Paints (a combination of Picked Raspberry and Spun Sugar) and while they were still wet, I dipped lightly them into some perfect pearls. I let them dry (mostly) and then brushed off the excess. It doesn't show up well in the picture but it gave the surface of the snowflake an uneven, mottled look that I love. I am definitely going to be repeating this technique with bigger surface areas to see what it gives me.
And finally, I can't forget about one of the best parts of the card - the die-cut itself (SSS die)! I love this snowflake so much that I am going to be repeating the process just to cut out some more for another card!


No comments:

Post a Comment