Tuesday 16 September 2014

Patterned Paper



I have to  admit that I have a love-hate relationship with patterned paper. I love it so I end up buying it but then I never use it, and it accumulates so I end up hating it! (OK - hate is a strong word - maybe resenting it!). One of my New Year's resolutions this year was to stop buying patterned paper, and I am proud to say that I have generally adhered to this (except one 6x6 pad - but it was really cute AND on sale!!!)... the issue is that I still subscribe to two monthly card kits that come with patterned paper so my collection is continuing to grow....

When I saw Virginia's View Challenge to use patterned paper, I immediately thought of my growing collection and knew that I needed to do something. I also needed to make a card for my dinosaur-loving nephew - and I had bought this stamp set from Clearly Besotted for the occasion - so patterned paper piecing seemed to be the way to go...



For my card, I used some Basic Grey Serenade patterned paper from an old Simon Says Stamp card kit - I used one fairly neutral piece for the background and a striped piece down the side for balance. I then stamped the dinosaurs on a few different pieces of more patterned paper and started fussy cutting (a LOT of fussy cutting!!!). Everything was glued down and the eyes were highlighted with some Glossy Accents... and I shaded the ground with a pencil crayon. 

A final part of the card that I want to highlight is the greeting. I used the Stampendous Aged Copper Embossing Enamel and this stuff is amazing!! It has large chunks of copper and smaller pieces of blue-green powder that combine for an aged look. It is very similar to the Ranger Verdigris but slightly more blue and with the copper chunks. I highly recommend this embossing powder - here is the close-up of the "aged" greeting - but the photo really doesn't do it justice:



The end result of this patterned paper experiment is one that I absolutely LOVE!!! I put this card my shelf with my other finished cards and my eye keeps getting drawn to it. Maybe I should take out my patterned paper more often LOL!!!! I will definitely link this card up to Virginia's Challenge with many thanks for making get out my patterned paper!!!

Supplies:
Stamps: Clearly Besotted - Dino-Mite
Patterned Paper - Basic Grey Sweet Serenade (via Simon Says Stamp card kit)
Embossing Powder - Stampendous - Aged Copper


Thanks for stopping by!!!

4 comments:

  1. I share your love/hate relationship with patterned paper, Jill but you have definitely made good use of it on this card! I love the paper pieced dinos - they are so cute! That embossed sentiment looks great too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Sarah, you are not alone on the love/hate relationship with pattern paper! Every time I stare at my ever-growing collections, I vowed not to buy any more, but when I saw the new release, my heart just MELT and I CAVED in...You have used this Serenade paper (I have them, too!) so fabulously! This truly is a dino-mite design! So glad that you join the fun over Virginia’s View Pattern Paper Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Virginia! And thank you for challenging me to use my patterned paper - it was good to force myself to use it and I am so super-happy with the results :) I think that I only have about 1,000 cards to go now to put a solid dent in my stash LOL!!!

      Delete
  3. fantasic dino card, love your creation :-)

    ReplyDelete